Capannone del Redentore
Capannone del Redentore
Ease into the Venice lifestyle like a duck takes to water in this remarkable property with its own indoor pool!
Assuring peace and tranquility and yet oh-so-centrally placed beside Palladio’s Church of the Redentore on the island of Giudecca – a quick hop across the water from Dorsoduro and St. Mark’s Square – Capannone del Redentore is a Venice home with no equal and is, I’m sure you’ll agree, a truly eye-popping surprise…
Thought to have started life as a warehouse belonging to the monastery of the Capuchin monks of the Redentore during the time of the Serenissima Republic of Venice, and now transformed into a strikingly unique yet quietly luxurious living and leisure space, this stylish conversion sleeps up to 6 guests in 3 bedroomed accommodation surrounding the pool.
Visible in a number of paintings and engravings of the Redentore by artists including Canaletto and Guardi, and reinvented with exceptional originality and the utmost respect for the materials used in its original construction – think gorgeous bare brickwork and pine wood from the Dolomite mountains later supplemented with chestnut wood from Galicia in northern Spain - the fabulous 2-storey accommodation with Wi-Fi comprises:
- A discreet little doorway* right on Campo Del Redentore which opens to reveal a magical Mediterranean-style secret courtyard garden - a patch of pure bliss amidst the paving stones of Giudecca planted with lemon trees, olive trees, jujube, pomegranate and vines, and delicately scented with jasmine, rosemary and assorted herbs
A further entrance into
- Capannone’s main air-conditioned warehouse space with its sensational vaulted and galleried open-plan living and leisure area – a triumph in tawny timber and handsome high-end neutrals comprising a
o 12m x 3m indoor and oxygen maintained swimming pool running along the centre of the space (1.10m depth throughout and with a countercurrent swimming device plus a sculptural elephant water fountain at one corner. Please be aware that the swimming pool water is always some degrees lower in temperature than that of the house!)
o A sitting-cum-relaxation area along one side with subtle lighting and a series of inbuilt banquettes for poolside lounging
o Tables, chairs and further seating along the opposite side of the pool
- A home cinema / TV area offering satellite channels and Netflix located at the farthest end of the space and open to the pool area
- A service bathroom with shower and Turkish Bath (sauna)**
- A compact, well-equipped and air-conditioned kitchen/breakfast room should you fancy flexing your culinary muscles
- 2 air-conditioned double bedrooms situated near Capannone’s entrance, each with a double bed which can be prepared as twins but not completely separated ***, a desk area, satellite TV and a smart en suite bathroom with bathtub, shower and separate bidet and w.c.
Stairs leading up to the open galleried level above and
- A further cosy sitting area, attractively furnished and with ample seating
- An extensive library gallery area running along one side
- A 3rd bedroom area with seating and a double bed – which can be prepared as twins but not completely separated *** – adjacent to a stylish bathroom suite with Jacuzzi. Note that this bedroom area and bathroom suite each have a folding wooden door-height screen allowing them to be made private both from each other and from downstairs.
- An intimate dining area seating up to 6
(This further sitting area, bedroom area and dining area also benefit from the effects of air-conditioning thanks to the open-plan nature of the main air-conditioned warehouse space)
* Please bear in mind that although the garden entrance and the entrance leading directly into the property are private and used only by guests of Capannone Del Redentore, its courtyard garden is adjoined to & overlooked by the garden / pergola belonging to the neighbouring property sitting just to the front
** Please note that use of the Turkish Bath (sauna) is ‘upon request’ only, so kindly let us know before your arrival if you anticipate using it during your stay
*** Simply let us know your preferences when booking
Have a swimmingly good stay just beside the Redentore!
… A wonderful wood-enrobed warehouse conversion and, to the best of our knowledge, the only privately owned property in Venice’s historical centre fortunate enough to feature an indoor swimming pool of this size.
Within a stone’s throw of the upscale restaurants of the famous Hotel Cipriani (‘Oro’ and ‘Cip’s Club’) on the trendy and laid-back island of Giudecca (where Elton John has a home and which remains peaceful apart from during the spectacular Festa Del Redentore! – see below) and only minutes by vaporetto (water bus) to the Zattere in Dorsoduro and to the thrill and excitement of Piazza San Marco.
A delightful waterside amble to Harry’s Dolci for a spot of refined summertime canal-side dining beneath bright white canopies, to the Hilton Molino Stucky’s ‘Aromi’ and ‘Bacaromi’ restaurants and Skyline Rooftop Bar with its sweeping panoramic views of Venice across the glittering Giudecca Canal, and to the showroom of the historic Fortuny factory close by.
Near to a host of small local shops for all your self-catering needs - including a Prix supermarket near Redentore and a Coop supermarket near Palanca – and to a variety of traditional bars and restaurants including ‘La Palanca’ with its wonderful food, fine views and friendly service and the family-run ‘Altanella’ with pretty outdoor terrace.
The Festa Del Redentore - one of the Venetians' best-loved events which takes place annually on the 3rd Sunday in July and the Saturday evening before. A wonderful celebration which came into being as a feast to give thanks for the end of the plague of 1575 and for which a pontoon bridge is built between the Zattere in Dorsoduro and the Church of the Redentore on Giudecca. At sunset on the Saturday a large number of decorated boats begin congregating in St Mark's Basin and residents and visitors line the lantern-strung waterfronts to party, eat traditional food and to wait for the fireworks to begin (a truly breathtaking display which begins at 11.30pm and lasts until after midnight). A very special evening full of Venetian atmosphere followed on the Sunday by church services and a regatta on the Giudecca Canal!
Why not join us with your family or friends during your stay at our professionally equipped Venetian home-kitchen ‘A TAVOLA’ situated on one of Venice’s prettiest canals, where you can celebrate the Italian passion for great food, wine and company with…
Informal, hands-on COOKING CLASSES to inspire and delight, with menus focusing on traditional Italian and
Easy-going and informative sommelier-led Italian WINE TASTINGS, with particular emphasis on bottles from the Veneto and Friuli, paired with artisanal cheeses and seasonal local appetisers
A charming PRIVATE EVENT SPACE for your special occasion coupled with the organisational skills and friendly support of our VOV Concierge
Do get in touch for a chat and a quote!
Payment method: Credit Card
Pay Way: Arrival
Bed linen : Included
Check in : Included
Check out : Included
Disinfection : Included
Internet Access : Included
Security Deposit (refundable) : €1,000.00 /booking
Touristic Registration Number : M0270424169
Private Tours, price on request : €0.00 /booking
Taxi Service, price on request : €0.00 /booking
Welcome Box and Shopping at Home, price on request : €0.00 /booking
Wine Tasting in an Exclusive Location, price on request : €0.00 /booking
Check-out schedule: 11:00
We kindly ask you to contact us 1 week before your stay to let us know your estimated arrival time in the city so that we can make arrangements to meet you and escort you to the property.
We kindly ask you to phone us about your arrival time once you are at your destination.
Tourist tax not included.
VAT included in the accommodation price.
A word from our
It is a pool and a steam bath with a house around it. It was the perfect cocoon for our wedding accommodation. I would definitely like to come back, this time in the summer to enjoy the fresh pool. Though we were here in the heart of winter, jumping in the cold pool after a steam bath was a joy.It is a pool and a steam bath with a house around it. It was the perfect cocoon for our wedding accommodation. I would definitely like to come back, this time in the summer to enjoy the fresh pool. Though we were here in the heart of winter, jumping in the cold pool after a steam bath was a joy.18 Feb 2020MichelA truly unique experience